Thursday, July 3, 2008

VALUE wines...

Why is value capitalized? For emphasis, obviously, but today I wanted to put the focus on the value, not the cost. Yes, I get geeked to find inexpensive wines, but it's also great to find a wine that's easy on the wallet but is really yummy! I continue to be blown away by Costco. Yes, I'm channeling Clark Howard again, but their line of "Kirkland" wines are very nice. Their Champagne scored around 90pts last year and they have several other varietals. I recently tried their Meritage (remember, it rhymes with heritage :) and loved it. It was primarily Merlot and had Cabernet and Malbec to finish the blend. I liked the Syrah, but I'm not completely sure about it but I LOVED their Chàteauneuf du Pape (a Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre blend). The key to all of these wines? The quality is great, but the pricing is perfect! French Champagnes usually sell in the $30 range; Kirkland's is $20. A Napa Meritage? Try around $30-50 depending on the vineyard. Kirkland's? It was around $12! Finally, the CdP was around $19 versus $35+ for a 'brand name'. I have yet to try their Italian wines, but that may be on the list for our next spaghetti night! I know that you may not have a Costco near you or feel that it's worth being a member but I promise that the $35 annual membership fee is worth it! As you hear repeatedly, I buy a LOT of wine there (they are actually the #1 retailer of wine in the country!). If you are a foodie you can also find a lot of great values and varieties! Dinner anyone? (Costco info HERE)

No comments: