Wednesday, May 13, 2009

I love Zinfandel! ZAP was WOW!

We attended the ZAP tour last night and I really enjoyed the event! It was not too big/crowded and there were a lot of quality producers in attendance. I am biased, of course, as I love our native American grape, Zinfandel. It's a great food-friendly wine and can be produced in several styles. I tend to like the more full-bodied "spicy" type vs. the 'fruit bomb' variety. Some standouts from last night? As always, my 2 favorite producers Ridge and Ravenswood were awesome, and enjoyed some 'old friends' like Renwood as well. In fact, when I visited the Ravenswood table, I met the Zinderella of Zin herself, Cathleen Francisco. No, you may not know her, but I have emailed her about their wines for over 3 years and this was the first time we had met in person! YUMMY wines and always great, from their $7 'vinter's blend' to their incredible single vineyard designates like Belloni, Teldeschi and Big River, to name the 3 she brought.

I did try a lot of new juice and found some standouts. Among them was D-cubed Cellars; the name stands for the winemaker's initials (DDD). I loved the 2005 Howell Mountain (yes, the same Howell Mountain of Cabernet fame). Another Howell Mountain producer was Lamborn Family Vineyards. In a word, WOW. Both of those were in the $40 (and you're surprised?) as was the Renwood Jack Rabbit (single vineyard) which was great! Fritz Winery's 2006 reserve was nice (gee, another $40 bottle). Haywood Estate Winery showed up with 3 examples from their Los Chamizal Vineyard in Sonoma; all three were excellent and it was amazing to see how the same grapes/vineyard were so different mainly due to the placement of the vines (for example, a higher elevation was different than the valley; and the 'Morning Sun' had more fruit due to the concentration of the sun). While those three were around $30, they brought along another product line, Z-52, which was a bit more fruit forward but also under $20--what's not to love? Finally, Tres Sabores had a 2006 estate as well as a blend called Por que no?--fun stuff! I need to keep my eyes open to some of these new producers! Just to toss some additional names in the mix, look for Hook & Ladder (you may remember them as Deloach from years ago) and Peachy Canyon from Paso Robles (yum!) Look for my other posting with info from ZAP ("Zinfandel Advocates and Producers") for a list of who came to ATL and links to their websites. Support these awesome vineyards! Cheers, Bo

No comments: