Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wine bottles on a diet!

Wine producers overseas are giving lighter wine bottles a try. An average 750ml wine bottle with a screwtop weighs about 500 grams (around 17.64 ounces). The "new and improved" lighter bottles will weigh around 300g (10.58 oz). All I can say is I wish bottles weighed less when I was a barback WAY back in 1989 in Northern Kentucky. When I worked at "The Waterfront" we had to carry all our wine/beer/liquor up from the bottom of the bar (The Waterfront was a 3 story bar/restaurant built on an old barge across from Cincinnati). I remember we would weigh ourselves on the big scales they used for deliveries (for produce/seafood, etc). I know that Absolut Vodka bottles (1.75L) weighed the most but the only actual weight I remember was 2 cases of Corona beer weighed 110 pounds! Factor in that we carried all this on our shoulders... I'm surprised I don't walk with a gangsta lean to the right!

In any event, lighter bottles = lighter shipping containers = less energy consumed. I can see the ads now: Drink Wine, Save the Earth :) Cheers, Bo

No comments: