Friday, July 16, 2010

Good and Cheap!

Can't come up with a better subject line than that... As you have no doubt noticed, I am not afraid to try a cheap wine. Caveat: I do tend to stay away from cutesy, hyped or 'overly marketed' wines, like "Critter" wines (wines that have a cute animal on the label to get stupid people to buy the wine based on the label alone). And have also noted that I don't always buy wines in the grocery unless I know it's a good price (typically on a wine I already know). So here's an end-cap with a Malbec blend at Kroger, marked down to $3.99 from $8.99 (got to love that Kroger Plus Card!). I think to myself, "Why not?" Well, it is actually pretty yummy! The wine label didn't look cheap and silly and it came from Mendoza in Argentina so its 'particulars' were solid, so for $3.99 it appeared to be a great deal. The wine is called Aconga and is an 80% Malbec 20% Cabernet blend. It drinks pretty well for a 2009, which I would have thought too young. If your local Kroger has this wine (at this price) I'd recommend buying several bottles--perfect BBQ or grilling wine (an easy-drinker as well). Cheers! Bo

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Bo~

Do you know where you can find
Aconga - we LOVE this wine...bought the Kroger around us out..and several others. Now we can't find it anywhere and are very SAD :( Due to GA laws (which are ridiculous if you ask me being a NY native) we can't have it shipped in. Any ideas?

Bo Wagner said...

So far, no. One Kroger near me is sold out; I plan to pick up the last few bottles at another. What part of town are you located?

FieldingMelish said...

Just bought a bottle at the local Ralph's store. $2.99 with your Ralph's Club card!

Bo Wagner said...

Hope you like it!