Thursday, September 17, 2015

Best ATL Wine Lists!

Here is a list of some of ATL's best wine lists, per Atlanta Eater (Click HERE). I haven't been to many of the new ones but I have long been a fan of Aria. If you are able (and can book well in advance) the wine cellar is a unique experience (e.g. you can dine in the cellar!). Only 4 people fit and it's a lovely/romantic affair. I highly recommend it (and the food is divine!).

One trend I haven't fully embraced is the use of iPads for wine lists. Bones is a pretty simple wine list (voluminous, but well laid out) and makes it easy to find a bottle from their large list but I was recently in Charleston SC and was frustrated HOW LONG it took to find a wine using their little iPad. Yes, it was split between varietals and/or countries; yes, it was helpful to see a photo of the actual bottle for 'recognition' but overall, trying to toggle back and forth took way too long and really took the fun out of ordering a wine. Ah but when I did make the choice, that lovely Keenan Merlot was stunning!

Final vent--another recent restaurant experience was lackluster due to the fact that their wines were VERY overpriced and also very YOUNG (e.g. all 2012). I wish they had a bit more depth to their list (e.g. some age would be nice). Sigh... can't always get what you want, eh? Note to restaurants: Variety is great; simplicity in the list is great; overpriced? Not so much. If you didn't try to make up so much of your expenses on the wines, you may actually see more business, but that's just me...

Cheers!

No comments: